My name is Kim Wilkens and I am a technology specialist and middle school teacher at Mountaintop Montessori. I have been given the opportunity to pull together a week long immersion experience for the middle school students that will focus on social justice issues. The purpose of the immersion will be to:
- Get students thinking about social justice; what is it? how is it different than charity? how does it affect them?
- Investigate social justice issues and identify an issue that they feel passionate about.
- Plan a project that will help educate about and advocate for a social justice issue.
The immersion week begins Monday, November 8 through Friday, November 12 and will include field trips to:
- The Haven at First and Market - a day shelter providing services to the homeless
- Computers4Kids - an after-school technology mentoring program for disadvantaged youth